Germany Student Visa

 Get your German Visa and go to Berlin!

Students from European countries do not need a visa for Germany; the laws of the European Union allow a free movement between the countries. There are also contracts with other countries. The need for a visa after 90 days of staying in Germany does not take place for the following countries:

Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Island, Italy Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Sweden, Slovakia, Switzerland, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary and Cyprus.

Although, there is an obligation to inform the registration office about long-term stays and rental contracts in Germany. Therefore, you need to go to the certain office called “Einwohnermeldeamt” at the beginning of your stay.

For different countries not mentioned above there are different rules. If your stay in Germany lasts more than 90 days you do need a visa. Residents of some countries need a residence permit for Germany before entering the country others can apply for this when they’re here.

For special information about your country look at web page of the office of foreign affairs in Germany, or ask at the German embassy in your home country. The people there can also answer to specific questions.

In some cases and for first information the International Office at the German university or at your home university can also give explanations.

To get the application for your visa right the following checklist can be of some help:

  • Apply for the visa as soon as possible, meaning shortly after you received the acceptance letter from the university. The work at the embassy can take some weeks or even months and without a visa you can’t enter Germany.
  • Check if the visa you apply for is the right one. There are differences depending on the thing you want to do in Germany (e.g. tourist, work, study,…). The wrong visa cannot be changed in Germany and this can cause problems.
  • Check if you attached all necessary documents and if you signed everything. Also keep copies of all things you filled with information.
  • Take care that your documents are still valid. Especially important is you travel passport, it also has to be valid for some period of time after you came back to your home country. Check your passport even before you apply for the visa because getting a new one also takes some weeks.
  • Check that there is enough time between your arrival in Germany and the first day at university because there are many things to do like going to the offices etc.

To get a residence permit at the “Einwohnermeldeamt” you need to bring the following things with you:

  • Filled document for residence permit,
  • Proof of Health Insurance, (The premium Mawista Student is accepted)
  • Student Card or certificate of enrollment from university,
  • If necessary proof of Finance,
  • Valid passport, visa,
  • If necessary health certificate,
  • If necessary rental agreement,
  • If necessary passport photograph,
  • Money for the fee.